김혜련의 그림들--<가을사과>들까지

정영목(서울대 교수)

평소 작가와 자신의 그림에 대한 깊은 이야기를 서로 나누지는 않았지만, 꽤 지척에서 그녀의 작품을 10년쯤 보아왔다. 놀데(Emil Nolde)로 박사학위 논문을 쓴 그녀였기에 처음엔 그림이 좋아 서양미술사를 했어도 그림을 놓지 못하는구나 생각했다. 그런데, 그게 아니었다. 국내에서, 독일에서 몇 번의 개인전을 치루더니 어느덧 역량을 갖춘 기성 작가로 그녀의 이미지는 세인들에게 각인되고 있었다.

각설하고, 나는 작가로서의 김혜련과 그녀의 작품에서 그녀만이 가질 수 있는 몇 가지 특이함을 발견하고 이 글을 쓰고자 마음먹었다. 첫째, , 서양을 막론하고 미술에 개입한 인문(humanity)의 전통을 상기하건대, 김혜련은 그 맥을 제대로 알고 작업에 임하는 작가다. 그녀가 쓴 도처의 글들에 나타나듯이 언어를 다루는 작가의 섬세한 논리적 감수성이 그녀의 작품에도 언어에서처럼 이미지에 베어있음을 관객은 어렵잖게 간파할 수 있다. 둘째, 이러한 맥락에서 그녀의 작품들 속에는 적절한 농도의 문학적 감수성을 지니고 있다. 내가 말하는 적절한 농도란 문학과 미술사에 해박한 작가가 자신을 지식의 서정적 함정에 빠뜨리지 않고, 형태와 색을 통한 순수한 조형적 전략으로 자신의 감수성을 제어하거나 조절할 줄 아는 경지에 이르렀다는 이야기다. 특히, 검정 톤이 물씬 강한 <가을 사과>의 연작들에서 언어의 문학적 서술성의 도움 없이도 이미지의 훌륭한 조련사가 될 수 있음을 보여주고 있다.

마지막으로, 김혜련의 작품은 서양미술사, 그중에서도 표현주의적 농도가 짙은 독일 현대미술의 전통과 그 맥이 닿아있다. 예를 들어, 작가의 초기 풍경화에는 칸딘스키의 아주 초기 모습이 엿보인다. 여성과 어머니로서의 모습이 담겼으되 과감한 왜곡과 자유로운 색감을 즐기고 릴케(Rainer Maria Rilke)와 친했던 모더존-벡커(Paula Mothersohn-Becker)의 느낌도 김혜련의 그림에 있다. 놀데가 후기에 즐겨 그리던 북해 쪽의 바닷가 풍경 맛도 그녀의 작품에 담겨있다. 그녀에의 영향은 복합적이나 모두 독일로 통한다. 특히, 격렬한 붓질과 활달해진 색의 범벅으로 그려낸 <반쪽의 사과><앙상한 가지의 포도>같은 작품들은 더욱 표현주의적이다.

이번 개인전의 <가을 사과> 연작들은 작가가 최근 들어 관심을 갖기 시작한 <과일> 시리즈의 연장선상에 있다. <사과>를 이미지의 주제로 선택한 작가의 특별한 사연이 있겠지만, 관객이 굳이 그 사연을 알 필요는 없다. 다만, 그 사연이 작가의 사고와 조형적 과정을 통하여 얼마만큼 의미 있는 이미지로 되살아나 작품 스스로의 개념을 품은 체 얼마만큼의 힘을 발휘할 수 있느냐의 문제가 관건일 것이다. 제 삼자와의 교감과 소통은 별개의 문제이다. , 작가가 교감과 소통을 위하여 제 삼자의 눈치를 볼 이유가 전혀 없다. 포스트-모던 이후 작가의 역량은 경제적 효율성의 문제로 전락했고, 그것은 곧 자본주의의 논리인 돈과 직결되어 있다. ‘포스트-모던 증후군에 시달리는 바로 지금의 한국 미술계를 둘러봐라. 역설적으로, 되도록이면 안 팔릴 것 같은 그림을 그려라. 되도록이면 대중이 이해하지 못할 그림을 그려라. 그리고, 뽐내라. 네들이 게 맛을 알아?”하고 비웃어라.

이러한 측면에서 김혜련의 <가을 사과>는 과거의 작품보다 덜 팔릴 것 같고, 그래서 나는 좋다. 이렇게 써서 작가에게는 약간 미안하지만, 그래도 과거의 작품과 비교하여 최근 과일을 그리면서부터 작가의 투지와 갈등, 진정성의 농도가 더욱 확연하게 작품에 전이되었다는 것이 나의 판단이다.

김혜련은 자신이 머문 일상에서 그릴 이미지의 대상을 나름대로의 독특한 관찰과 감수성으로 추출해낸다. 예를 들어, 임진강변의 철조망, 고무신, 맨홀의 뚜껑, 포도, 사과 등이 추출되면서 나름대로의 의미를 부여 받는다; 철조망=분단>통일, 고무신=>인생, 맨홀의 뚜껑=>관계, 과일=환경>생태 등등. 이러한 의미부여는 또한 작가의 조형적 감수성과 늘 함께 붙어 다닌다. , 매번 그럴는지는 모르겠지만 대상의 시각적 이미지를 통해 의미부여가 이루어진다. 작품을 위한 작가의 조형에 관한 고민은 여기에서부터 시작되거나, 아니면 큰 줄기는 이미 의미부여와 동시에 가닥을 잡았을 수도 있을 것이다. 그렇다고, 조형의 고민과 갈등이 해결되는 것은 아니다.

김혜련은 여느 작가보다도 이 피를 말리는 과정의 고민과 갈등을 통찰하고 있다. 작가의 고백과도 같은 통찰은 그녀의 책, <내 그림 속의 비밀, 한길아트, 2007, 11~12>에 너무나 잘 드러나 있다. 진심으로 일독을 권한다. 이번의 <가을사과>를 포함한 그녀의 과일 작품들은 이러한 작가의 고민과 갈등이 더욱 반영되어 진정성의 농도가 두터워졌다고 나는 판단한다. 그렇다하더라도, 정리하지 마라, 문학적 감수성에 의탁하지 마라, 섣부른 동양성과 결탁하지 마라, 더욱 꼴리는 대로 그려라, 그러나 지성의 끈을 놓지 마라 --할 말을 다하다 보니 이런 말도 작가에게 하고 싶었다. 십분 이해하리라 믿으며 전시를 축하합니다. 김혜련 선생님

-2007 마이클 슐츠 갤러이 서울 개인전 도록

The Journey of the Image, Fruit becomes Mountain

Youngmok Chung | Art History, Seoul National University

I’ve been looking at the works of Heryun Kim from up close in my everyday life for about 10 years.

She wrote her doctoral dissertation on Emil Nolde, so at first I thought that she loved painting so much

that even if she had majored in Western art history, she wouldn’t be able to let go of painting. So I

would ask her to also lecture on art theory subjects at the school where I was working, but that wasn’t

the answer. Heryun Kim wanted to be a painter. After holding some personal exhibitions in Korea and

Germany, she was suddenly being identified by the public as a capable artist.

I made up my mind to write this essay after discovering in the works of Heryun Kim the artist

herself and a few of the peculiarities that only she can possess. First, recalling the tradition of humanity

intervening in art, irrespective of East and West, she is an artist who approaches her work with a proper

understanding of that pulse. The viewer can discern without difficulty how the artist’s delicate logical

sensibility in dealing with language, as revealed in several of her writings, is also carried intact within her

artwork. Second, along these lines, her works contain a literary sensibility of an appropriate density. By

“appropriate density,” I mean that an artist with a broad knowledge of literature and art history has not

allowed herself to sink into the lyrical trap of knowledge, but has arrived at a place where she is capable

of controlling or modulating her sensibility with pure formative strategy through shape and color. In her

Fruit series in particular, with its intensely ripe black tones, she shows her capability of being an excellent

trainer of images without depending upon the aid of the literary depiction of language.

Finally, Kim’s works connect with the traditions and pulse of Western art history, especially

modern German art, with its thick expressionistic density. For example, in her early landscape pieces,

one can glimpse the very early stages of Kandinsky. If Kim’s paintings contain an image of the artist as

a woman and a mother, they also carry a hint of Paula Modersohn-Becker, a painter who favored bold

distortion and free color tone and who was close with Rainer Maria Rilke. Her strokes also bear the flavor

of the North Sea coastal landscapes that Nolde favored in his later years. Her influences are complex, but

all connect with Germany. In particular, the pulse of the expressionist tradition clearly flows through her

works, rich with a heady emotional intelligence, from works painted as jumbles of intense brushstrokes

and liberal coloring like “Apple” and “Grapes” to her most recent works on the Hallabong.

The Hallabong series as well represents an extension of the Fruit series, a target of the artist’s

continuous interest of late. The Hallabong is a type of citrus fruit developed in Japan in the 1970s. In the

1990s it came to Korea as well, mainly being grown on Jeju Island, and has become a popular fruit in the

wintertime, with a more delicious flavor than the ordinary orange. It does not seem that these were the

reasons the artist chose to paint Hallabongs in particular. Perhaps she may have wished to capture a

cross section of life in the image of fruit drying, twisting and losing its vitality.

There is likely some specific story behind this artist who selected as the theme of her images

certain kinds of fruit, but there is really no need for the viewer to know it. The key is simply the issue of

how that story can be restored to life as an image of a certain significance through the artist’s thinking

and formative process and display a certain degree of force while harboring the concept of the work itself.

Rapport and communication with a third party are separate issues. That is to say, there is no reason at all

for the artist to speculate on the feelings of a third party for the purposes of rapport and communication.

In this regard, Heryun Kim’s Fruit series is more symbolic than her previous works. The concentration of

symbolism is that much deeper and thicker, meaning that the artist’s fighting spirit, complications and

richness of authenticity have been transferred more surely into her work. Even if no specific, plain-speaking

communication about the symbolism is realized, we can feel the abyss of some vague but deeper, richer

meaning through the color tone and images.

Heryun Kim extracts subjects for the images in her paintings from the everyday in which she

dwells, using her own distinctive observation and sensibility. For example, things like the barbed wire

along the banks of the Imjin River, rubber shoes, manhole covers, grapes, apples, persimmons and

Hallabongs are conferred meaning of their own as they are extracted: barbed wire = division > unification,

rubber shoes = boat > life, manhole cover = myself > relationship, fruit = environment > ecosystem >

nature, and so forth. This “conferment of meaning” also travels continuously with the artist’s formative

sensibility. In other words, while it is uncertain if she will do this every time, the “conferment of meaning”

is accomplished through visual images of the object. The artist’s concern with formation for her works

may have started here, or some major current may have already assumed a certain strand concurrently

with the “conferment of meaning.” However, this is not to say that her concerns and conflicts about

formation are being resolved.

Let us examine it through a more specific example. The image of a single lotus blooming in the

dark is a central motif mourning the death of Park Kyongni, author of “The Land”. It doesn’t necessarily

need to be a lotus, but an image like a fragile lotus together with the surrounding black tone of darkness

generates thoughts of the meaning of death as approaching the mercy of Buddha. A woman blossomed

like a lotus within a life of chains through modern Korean history. The same is true of Seo-hee in The

Land. What if their lives became sublimated into death, and those deaths went through another cycle to

be reborn as a single lotus flower?

This lotus-like image in the paintings of Heryun Kim has changed form once again and is now

reborn as an image resembling a crown worn on the head. The artist almost certainly had in mind a

feeling of reverence in memory of the late Park Kyongni. I did not confirm with the artist whether this

image and the meaning of its associations are connected. Really, I didn’t even need to. Images can be

even more mysterious the more diverse or ambiguous their meanings are. Also, the artist’s intention

does not have to agree with the viewer’s imagination, since in any case painting is not a journey in search

of a correct answer, as though solving a math problem. Paradoxically, a painting can be even richer the

more diverse its interpretations. Is the world not more beautiful the more mutual differences coexist? A

painting is that way by its nature. It is a “road without a road,” an aimless, long journey without a right

answer. For this reason, the endeavor of painting is torturous, but it emanates even more of a subtle

fascination than literature. The journey of images that the artist embarks upon is both a journey of

formation and a journey with the peculiar language that belongs only to Heryun Kim and her outstanding

literary sensibility.

Heryun Kim sees more deeply into the concerns and conflicts of this grueling process than other

artists. This insight, which is like a confession from the artist, is revealed clearly in her book, “The

Secrets Within My Painting”(Hangil Art, 2007, pp. 11-12). I sincerely recommend reading it. I feel that the

concentration of authenticity has become thicker as these concerns and conflicts of the artist are reflected

more with Kim’s paintings of fruit. And yet: Don’t pigeonhole. Don’t depend on a literary sensibility. Don’t

conspire toward a careless “Easternness.” Paint more in whatever way you are drawn, but do not let go

of the thread of intelligence! After saying all the things I planned to say, I still wish to communicate these

words to the artist.

-2007 cataloque of solo exhibition in Michael Schultz Gallery Seoul 

Board Pagination ‹ Prev 1 Next ›
/ 1

나눔글꼴 설치 안내

이 PC에는 나눔글꼴이 설치되어 있지 않습니다.

이 사이트를 나눔글꼴로 보기 위해서는
나눔글꼴을 설치해야 합니다.

설치 취소

Designed by sketchbooks.co.kr / sketchbook5 board skin

Sketchbook5, 스케치북5

Sketchbook5, 스케치북5

Sketchbook5, 스케치북5

Sketchbook5, 스케치북5

Copyright ⓒ 2013 heryun-kim.com. Allrights reserved.
XE Login